How to Care for Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring (Expert Advice)
Luxury vinyl plank flooring is a preferred flooring material among Toronto homeowners. That’s because it is durable and looks like hardwood but at more affordable prices.
If you have recently installed vinyl plank flooring in your Toronto home, you surely want to protect and prolong its beauty. That’s why taking proper care of it is important.
Unlike other types of flooring, luxury vinyl planks are easy to maintain. Indeed, simple caring methods can make your floors new and clean for a long time.
So, let’s take a look at how to take proper care of your luxury vinyl flooring.
The Right Way to Take Care of Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
Flooring experts suggest following these simple steps to care for the vinyl plank flooring in your Toronto home.
Set a Cleaning Schedule
Luxury vinyl is one of the best flooring choices for high-traffic areas. However, it tends to get dirty fast. A quick and easy way to take care of your flooring is to clean it on a regular basis.
Remove Dirt and Debris Daily
Dirt and debris on your floor can scratch it. So, you should clean it daily with a broom or vacuum cleaner. If using a vacuum cleaner, don’t forget to detach the beater bar.
In busy areas like your living room or kitchen, consider sweeping at least twice a day as they tend to get dirty quickly.
Mop Your Floor Weekly
Mopping your floor once a week will remove grime or accumulated dirt. You can dip your mop into a homemade cleaning solution of apple cider vinegar before cleaning. This also acts as an excellent disinfectant.
Just mix a cup of apple cider vinegar into one gallon of warm water. Use the solution to wet your mop and make sure that you wring it out completely. Your mop should only be damp, not dripping. Also, rinse the mop frequently so it remains clean every time you clean the floor.
If the floor is very dirty, add a few drops of liquid dishwashing soap to a bucket of water. Mop it using this water and repeat with the vinegar solution to remove any soap residue.
Get Rid of Stains and Spills Immediately
Stubborn stains or spills can permanently damage your vinyl plank flooring. Remember to follow these tips to avoid it.
- For fresh ink or makeup stains, take a clean, dry microfiber cloth and dab it on the affected area to remove as much ink as possible. Then dip another cloth into isopropyl alcohol and rub it over the stains to remove them effectively.
- For scuff marks caused by furniture or footwear, spray a little WD-40 on them. Let it sit for about a minute before wiping it away with a clean cloth.
- If you have no idea what caused a particular stain, your safest option to remove it is with baking soda. Make a mild paste by using equal parts of water and baking soda. Rub it over the stained area and then wipe away the residue with a clean cloth.
Some Additional Tips
- Place doormats at your entryways to wipe any dirt off your shoes before entering the room.
- Pointed heels can scratch floors and make them dirty. Consider removing them outside a given room and wearing indoor sandals or socks instead.
- Install rugs in areas directly exposed to sun or in high-traffic areas like your living room.
- Do not flood the floor. Though luxury vinyl plank floors are waterproof, you should not use excessive water when cleaning. This moisture build-up can damage the floor.
- Avoid scrubbing the floor with abrasive floor cleaners or steel wool.
- Never drag heavy furniture without using protective furniture pads.
- Do not use wax or any wax-based products on luxury vinyl floors.
Installing luxury vinyl plank flooring in your Toronto home has many benefits. One of these is its minimal care and maintenance. There’s no need to use any complicated tools or expensive cleaning products, nor any shiny polishes like wax. By following these easy tips recommended by flooring experts, you will be able to protect your floor’s shine and durability for years to come.